Dental esthetic

Over a decade of research has proofed that teeth bleaching, either by peroxides or by other methods, is a secure and effective treatment. Numerous clinical and laboratory tests have been carried out using various products available in the current market, and it has been proved that they do not have side effects on teeth nor gums. Look for clinically tested products, follow their instructions and check with your dentist.

In the past, dentist would bleach teeth using products that had large quantities of peroxides, which caused tooth sensitivity.

Nowadays, bleaching gels have better formulas that have significantly reduced tooth sensitivity. It is indeed possible to feel your teeth a bit sensible after bleaching them, especially when eating hot or cold food, but this usually ceases after 48 h, and completely ends when finishing the treatment.

If your teeth become more sensitive, there are various ways to fight this:

  • If you are using a splint, wear it during shorter periods of time.
  • Brush your teeth using a sensitivity toothpaste that has potassium nitrate to calm tooth nerve endings.
  • Ask your dentist for a fluoride product to help you remineralize your teeth. Put the fluoride product on with a brush, or put it in your splint for four minutes before bleaching your teeth.
  • Stop using the bleaching treatment for some dais to give your teeth some time to adapt to the bleaching process. Sensitivity will disappear after 24 h. The longer the bleaching process lasts, the less sensitive.

In some cases, the dentist might recommend you not to bleach your teeth with peroxides:

  • If you suffer from gingivitis, your enamel is worn away, you have caries or your teeth are especially sensitive.
  • If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

If you have crowns, covers or other dental restorations in your front teeth that have the same color of your teeth, because these foreign elements do not change color with teeth bleaching products.

Comments are closed.